|Each year in July, the Freedom Tour Bike Races are held in Stirling
The race on Sunday, July 28, 2013
is the Twenty-Third Anniversary
of this event.
Rain or Shine
Since 2009 Freedom Tour raised over $21,000 which was distributed to the Millington and Stirling Volunteer Fire Companies, the Long Hill First Aid Squad, the Police Explorers and the CERT team. Read our 2009 Thank You Letter
The Freedom Tour is sponsored by
High Gear Cyclery
the Long Hill Chamber of Commerce
& Investors Savings Bank
|Does the hay bale protect|
the hydrant or the cyclists?
|Schedule (For entry information, see below|
|8:00||Mens Cat 5 lowest ranked riders|| ||30 minutes + 2 laps|
|8:45||Cat 4/5 lowest ranked riders||$550||30 minutes + 2 laps|
|9:30||55+||$250||30 minutes + 2 laps|
|10:15||45+||$550||30 minutes + 2 laps|
|11:00||35+||$750||45 minutes + 2 laps|
|Parents must register children between 9:30 AM and 11:45 AMon Union St. behind the judges' stand.A safety check will be available. Children must wear a helmet.
|12-15 years old||Ribbons for|
|3-4 years old (tricycles allowed)||Dash|
|5-6 years old training wheels allowed||Dash|
|7-8 years old||Dash|
|9-11 years old||Dash|
|12:30||16th Annual New Jersey Firefighters Bike Race|
See picture below
|12:45||Men Pro 1/2/3 highest ranked riders||$2040||60 minutes + 2 laps|
|2:00||Women 1/2/3||$750||30 minutes + 2 laps|
|3:00||Men Cat 3||$750||40 minutes + 2 laps|
|4:00||Women 4||$250||30 minutes + 2 laps|
A local highlight will be the 17th running of the New Jersey Firefighters Bike Race,
held at 12:30 PM, for firefighters in full turnout gear.
This race raises money for the Saint Barnabas Burn Center in Livington, N.J.
|Help from a pro is appreciated.|
|Traffic, Parking and Residents|
||The race course is a 0.9 mile closed loop consisting of Main Avenue, Somerset Street, Passaic Avenue and Mercer Street. All races start and end at the judges' stand at Main Avenue and Union Street.|
- To reach Stirling, see these Driving Instructions and follow instructions for "Police Department".
- Main and Central Avenues are closed between Valley Road and Long Hill Road from 7:30 AM until about 4:45 PM.
- You may drive past the barricade at Long Hill Road to get down Central Avenue as far as Railroad Avenue, Dorsi's, St. Vincents, the Stirling Hotel and Biagio Bakery.
- The side streets in Stirling WEST of Main Avenue (inside the race loop) are closed, except to residents.
- There is no parking on any of the streets used for the race course.
- On other streets WEST of Main Avenue (between Main and Passaic Aves), parking is permitted only on the SOUTH side of the street. (Access is
via Passaic Avenue from Valley Road - but that is closed during the races.)
- You may park on the streets EAST of Main Avenue. Enter Warren Avenue from Valley Road (at Jaeger Lumber).
- You may also park at the Stirling Railroad Station.
- Handicapped Parking is at the west end of Union Ave. behind the judges' stand. Enter from Valley Road to Warren Ave. to Union Ave. and turn left to the end. Honk and someone will move the barricade for you.
- Firefighter Race competitors should park at the Stirling VFD. See driving instructions, BUT get onto Long Hill Road to Central Ave, then turn south. Cross the railroad, and follow instructions from the police officer at the barricade.
- OTHER COMPETITORS should get onto Valley Road, and turn into Warren Ave (at Jaeger Lumber). Drive to the end, turn left, and park in the American Legion lot or on a side street.
||Residents who experience ANY difficulty with traffic, noise, competitors, parking, sanitation, police, or ANY un-neighborly behaviour BY ANYONE, should immediately seek out a Chamber of Commerce representative at the Chamber of Commerce table near the judges' trailer, or call 973-769-9554.
The merchants of Long Hill Township show their appreciation to Stirling residents who live within the race course, by donating merchandise or gift certificates which we raffle off.
Stirling residents who have limited access to their homes during the race can enter the drawings free. You only need to write your name, address and telephone number on a piece of paper, fold it and drop it in the box behind the judges' stand prior to NOON on race day.
Only one entry per person.
Drawings for these gifts will be held throughout the afternoon.
Freedom Tour T-Shirts will be given out free to race-locked residents behind the judges' stand. Residents who were unable to pick up a shirt on race day may ask for one at the counter at High Gear Cyclery after race day. Others may purchase T-shirts for $5.00. T-shirts are available until they are all gone!
|Other important information|
|Entrants||You can obtain a copy of the entry form and pre-register at High Gear Cyclery (393 Main Avenue, corner of Valley Road, Stirling; 908-647-2010), or by mail.
- Stirling Fines Wines will sponsor a drawing
for a bicycle donated by Yuengling. Anyone may enter the raffle by filling out a FREE raffle ticket and dropping it in the box on the street the day of the race. Drawing is at 3:30 pm.
- Many Long Hill merchants contribute merchandise or gift certificates which are raffled to race-locked residents.
* Near the Judges Stand at Main Ave. and Union St.
- Official Banker and prize money handler - Investors Savings of Stirling
- Bottled Water* - Investors Savings of Stirling
- Electricity - Humphreys Exterminators
- Chairs and Tables - Long Hill Senior Center
- Childrens Races - sponsored by Investors Savings Bank
- Stage - Steve's Towing Service
- Yuengling bike raffle - Stirling Fine Wines
- Sound - Alexander Brasowski
- Hay - Red Oak Farm
- Long Hill First Aid Squad
- Stirling Volunteer Fire Company
- Millington Volunteer Fire Company
- Police Explorers, Post 264
- Long Hill Community Emergency Response Team
- Long Hill Township Public Works Department
- Long Hill Township Police
- Long Hill Township Committee